Join our network

March 7, 2023

MARK THE DATES: Training Workshops and Reporting Grants Opportunities by the Africa-China Reporting Project, February-June 2023

The Africa-China Reporting Project is offering the below detailed capacity building training workshops and reporting grants opportunities for journalists, researchers, media scholars and professionals.

MARK THE DATE: Webinar on China’s Global Development Initiative (GDI) and Africa’s Developmental Future

The Africa-China Reporting Project, in collaboration with the China-Global South Project will hold an online event featuring experts on Africa-China development cooperation to explore the broader implications of the GDI for Africa and the Global South.

Date: Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Time: 15:00 PM SAST // 9:00 AM EST

Register here to attend.

MARK THE DATE: Webinar on Interpreting Data and Data Sources: Tracking China’s Overseas Lending, Development Finance and Global Energy Finance Databases

Date: Wednesday, March 8 2023

Time: 08h00 – 09h30 AM EST // 15h00 – 16h30 SAST

Register here to attend

MARQUEZ LA DATE: Connaitre la Chine: Un atelier pour les journalistes africains

Le Africa-China Reporting, en collaboration avec le China Global South Project, invite tous les journalistes, chercheurs et professionnels des médias à participer à l’atelier d’information et de renforcement des capacités sur la Chine: Renforcement des capacités des journalistes africains.

Ce webinar se déroulera en français.

Date: 13 Mars 2023

Temps: 14h00 - 15h30 (SAST) // 07h00 - 08h30 (EST)

Inscrivez-vous ici pour participer

MARK THE DATE: Knowledge on China: A Workshop for African Journalists

The Africa-China Reporting Project, in collaboration with the China Global South Project, invite journalists, researchers and media professionals to attend the capacity building informative workshop on China 101: Knowledge Building for African journalists.

Date: 20 March 2023

Time: 14h00 - 15h30 (SAST) // 07h00 - 08h30 (EST)

Register here to attend

CALL FOR PHOTO SUBMISSIONS: Africa–China Photo Exhibition 2023

SENEGAL WATERS, THE ATLANTIC - JULY 20, 2016: An African fisherman aboard a China Fujian Distant Water Fishing Ship (CFDWFS) looks out at a Chinese reefer ship headed towards Dakar. Fishing is one of the main industries in Senegal. Of the nearly 100,000 people employed in the fishing industry, 90% are artisanal fishers, while the remaining 10% work on foreign distant water fishing ships and jointly operated or Senegal-operated large-scale industrial fishing ships. The working cycle on large-scale industrial fishing ships is long, one voyage often lasting 20 days. During this time, they rely on reefer ships to provide living supplies and to carry caught fish back to port.

The Africa-China Reporting Project (ACRP) at Wits Centre for Journalism is inviting all journalists, media practitioners and photographers to submit images for an Africa-China Photo Exhibition that will collect images from across Africa that best encapsulate applicants’ interpretation of “Africa–China”.

The Project will include selected images in an Africa-China Photo Exhibition and make them publicly available under a Creative Commons license, giving full credit to the image owners at all times. The Project will also select the best three images in the exhibition and give the following awards:

  • First place: US$1,500 grant to write an accompanying story of the image as well as a fully paid trip to the Project’s Africa-China Journalists Forum in Johannesburg, South Africa on 20 - 22 November 2023, to speak further about the image
  • Second place: US$1,500 grant to write the accompanying story of the image
  • Third place: US$1,000 grant to write the accompanying story of the image

Read here for more information on how to apply

CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: Reporting grants on U.S and Chinese Engagements in Africa (Closed)

US and China flag. Image Credit: Pexels.

The Africa-China Reporting Project, in collaboration with the African Centre for the Study of the United States, are calling journalists and researchers to apply for reporting grants to produce media reports or research papers, drawing comparisons of China and US approaches in Africa, in various areas of engagement detailed below.

Read here for more information on how to apply

CALL FOR APPLICATIONS: China's South-South Engagements: Reporting Grants on Comparative Reporting on Africa and Southeast Asia’s Experiences with China (Closed)

The Africa-China Reporting Project is calling for applications for reporting grants to support collaborations between reporters and/or researchers in Africa and Southeast Asia on shared developments relating to Chinese engagement in both regions.

Read here for more information on how to apply

CALL FOR PITCHES: Writing for Impact Workshop, 1-2 June 2023, Johannesburg, South Africa (Closed)

© 2023 Africa-China Reporting Project. All rights reserved. 
Terms & Conditions. 
Privacy Policy.